Sitting too much can literally kill you.
Ok…so maybe that’s a bit dramatic…but sitting too much should scare you!
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examinations Surveys, which examines about 5,000 people in United States each year (Nelson & Zeratsky, 2012), 50-70% of people sit for 6 or more hours per day. That might seem like a lot, but if you think about the “average” daily schedule of a 9-5er, that isn’t far off the mark.
So how does this impact our health? Too sedentary of a lifestyle can cause:
- Low energy
- Slower metabolism
- Back and spine injuries
- Risk of heart disease
How can you combat this? It’s easy – get moving!
- Stand every hour – take a quick trip to the bathroom or go get some coffee.
- Park farther away – sure that front row spot is nice, but those in the back are better for you!
- Track your steps with an activity tracker – Using an activity tracker that monitors your idle time and steps is a great way to see what your daily activity looks like.
- Take the stairs – if it’s possible, always (always!) take the stairs.
- Outdoor walk – walking is good for the soul and the body!
So, are you sitting too much? What can you do to become more active?